
When your four year old is hungry and stubbornly admits he'll only eat macaroni and cheese what do you do? I'll tell you what you do, you make some mac and cheese. Children are picky and going head to head at 9 in the morning is not a way to teach them proper eating habits and "breakfast foods" vs. "lunch foods". At this age I'm just thankful he's eating something other than cheese sticks and crackers for crying out loud! So I cooked up some fine mac and cheese which he ate probably half of what he'd normally eat at a lunch sitting LOL and put the rest in the fridge. About 20 min. later he ate half my bowl of raisin bran, and then asked for a cup of raisins...okay. Now don't get me wrong I'm not the mom who lets her child "snack" all day, infact I'm very strict about eating times and what they can eat in between meals (kids use a LOT of energy, if they're hungry FEED them!). BUT I think eating breakfast is most important and when he'll eat one thing or nothing I'm gonna give him the one thing LOL. We keep LOTS of fruit and veggies in the house and my kids can have those ANYTIME they please. For example we have oranges, grapes and fresh pineapple at the moment, celery and carrots too. If at say between a meal they come to me "I'm hungry" I'll peel an orange (and what did people do before those handy orange slicers!? I can peel an orange with four pieces of peel, THANK YOU) and place it on a plate on the table and let the kids go at it. I try to avoid empty calorie snacks such as juice, crackers etc... they don't offer a lot of nutrition and they dont' keep 'em full long.
Anyway it's been a chalanging day so far and it's only 10 haha!